There is no other weight division in boxing that has produced the plethora of legends that the heavyweight has. Over the years the heavyweight titles fights were always the biggest draw in boxing and still are.
But first lets look and the 17 weight divisions which range from Minimumweight (105lbs) all the way up to heavyweight (200lbs+)
All Weight Divisions
- Minimumweight / Mini Flyweight 105 pounds (48 kg)
- Light flyweight, 108 pounds (49 kg)
- Flyweight, 112 pounds (51 kg)
- Super flyweight, 115 pounds (52 kg)
- Bantamweight, 118 pounds (53.5 kg)
- Super bantamweight, 122 pounds (55 kg)
- Featherweight, 126 pounds (57 kg)
- Super featherweight, 130 pounds (59 kg)
- Lightweight, 135 pounds (61 kg)
- Super lightweight, 140 pounds (63.5 kg)
- Welterweight, 147 pounds (67 kg)
- Super welterweight, 154 pounds (70 kg)
- Middleweight, 160 pounds (72.5 kg)
- Super middleweight, 168 pounds (76 kg)
- Light heavyweight, 175 pounds (79 kg)
- Cruiserweight, 200 pounds (91 kg)
- Heavyweight, 200 pounds – unlimited
There are the four major world boxing title belts
- The World Boxing Association (WBA)
- The World Boxing Council (WBC)
- The International Boxing Federation (IBF)
- The World Boxing Organisation (WBO)
So each weight division can have four different champions and in the heavyweight division there are been some unanimous champions. The most recent fight between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder are proof that the heavyweight boxing is still king. BetMGM bonus code 2020
Ali transcended the sport unlike any other boxer and was for many the greatest sportsman of the 20th Century. Ali is not only considered the greatest boxer of all time across all divisions but also one of the greatest and most respected sports people ever.
His speed and grace in the ring for a heavyweight fighter were just amazing to watch and he had the sharp wit and personality to match this awe inspiring fight style. He is the only boxer in the history of the heavyweight division to become Lineal world heavyweight champion three times. He had 22 title fight wins in his now legendary career.
Lewis was an American professional boxer who competed from 1934 to 1951. He reigned as the world heavyweight champion from 1937 to 1949, and is considered to be one of the greatest heavyweight boxers of all time, he still holds the record for most consecutive title defences at the heavyweight division, which is also the record for most consecutive title defences in boxing history. His 27 title fight wins are a record that will go unbeaten for sometime.
Iron Mike was a boxing superstar and the biggest draw in boxing for years, he is also the last undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, effectively dismissing Buster Douglas, Evander Holyfield, Riddick Bowe and Lennox Lewis as unified champions. Boxing is hugely physically demanding sport and Iron Mike made it even more so with his brutally devastating fight style
Wladimir Wladimirovitsch Klitschko
Klitschko is a Ukrainian former professional boxer who competed from 1996 to 2017. He held the world heavyweight championship twice, including the WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, IBO. Known for his exceptional knockout power, Klitschko is ranked send to Joe Lewis with an incredible 25 title fight wins.
Evander Holyfield, George Foreman, Larry Holmes, Joe Fraizer were all legends of their time too. Nowadays the big names in Heavyweight boxing are Tyson Fury, who held the unified WBA, IBF, WBO, IBO, Ring and lineal titles after defeating long-reigning champion Wladimir Klitschko in 2015. He since lost the belts but recently beat Deontay Wilder to regain the WBC title. Anthony Joshua holds the other three Heavyweight belts. For betting opportunities check out this promotional offer.