Full time Amateur Boxer Funding
- 19.00% funded
- € 1,900.00 pledged
- 42 Days Left
– OLYMPIC BOXING ASPIRANT AND FUTURE PRO FIGHTER
Boxing has consistently been Ireland’s most successful sport at Olympic level, with 16 medals over the past 15 Games. My aim is to continue that impressive record.
I’m Tony Browne, and I’m a 23-year old amateur boxer with the ambition and drive to box for Ireland as a serious medal contender in the light-heavyweight division at the Tokyo Olympics in 2020 and to then enter the professional ranks. I started boxing at 16 years of age, which is considered quite late by Irish standards, but my progress has been such that I have won several titles at home and abroad and boxed internationally for two years in Europe, the USA and Australia.
A full-time amateur athlete, I maintain a dedicated approach to fitness, training and sparring in my quest for continuous improvement in my skills and technique:
- Training twice-a-day, 5 days a week and sparring on Saturdays
- Training 3 times a day prior to competition
- Regular visits to UK and beyond to spar/train with top level professional fighters and coaches
I’m a member of St. Michael’s Boxing Club in Inchicore where I train under my coach and mentor Steve O’Rourke, acknowledged as one of the best coaches in Ireland and the British Isles.
As a result, I’m recognised as one of the real talents on the Irish boxing scene
Achievements to date
- Three national finals
- Won belts in Australia and Poland while representing Ireland
- Included in Irish Elite Squad’s Olympic training schedule (although not gaining any funding, it is a clear indication that my potential has been recognised at the highest level)
- Elected an ‘Ambassador’ in the “Nissan Generation Next” nationwide promotion in 2017.
Outside the ring, I have a degree in Health & Performance Science (from UCD) and am a qualified Personal Trainer & Fitness Instructor.
To date, my boxing career has been funded by family contributions and some part-time employment, but that is not sustainable going forward.
Now that I am committed to a full-time training regime to reach my goal, I need help with funding from external sources to cover:
- Medical expenses
- Nationwide and overseas travel/accommodation costs
I am hoping that PledgeSports readers will identify with my ambition and contribute towards my qualification for Tokyo 2020. I’m also going to give 10% of money raised to the charity – Spinal Injuries Ireland.