- 50.94% funded
- £ 5,094.00 pledged
JimGump is an educational challenge that will see Britain’s Jim Plunkett-Cole turn Forrest Gump’s epic fictional run into a reality. Jim’s run will cover a staggering 20,000 miles, crisscrossing the United States many times for more than 3 years.
The run will be interspersed with hundreds of Talk & Run Elementary School visits*, where Jim will be speaking to hundreds of thousands of children with the aim of tackling obesity and inspiring an entire generation of young children into daily physical activity and healthy lifestyles.
Since arriving in the US on October 1st, 2016, Jim has already visited over 50 schools and inspired over 10,000 children with his message.
As you can imagine, a mission like this costs a lot of money. Jim is constantly fundraising to keep the JimGump project alive.
Please give what you can to keep Jim running. Without you, he cannot continue this epic challenge of tackling obesity and educating tens of thousands of children.
Who is Jim?
Jim Plunkett-Cole is an economist and analyst from Frome in Somerset. He’s closer to 50 than 40 but younger than he’s ever been thanks to running and the journey’s he has taken, inspired by the London 2012 Olympics.
- From January 1st, 2013 to October 1st, 2016, Jim ran at least 10km every single day without fail. Since arriving in the US he has run a minimum of 17 miles per day without fail and has a daily average of 22 miles.
- While his run in the US is 20,000 miles long, by the time he reaches the completion date Jim will actually have run 30,000 miles. As of April 2017, he has clocked 14,000.
- In 2015, he completed a triathlon every day – swimming 750m, cycling 40km and running 10k.
- Jim set up the daily active Kx365 initiative for adults to be physically active every day for a year, supporting and encouraging each other via social media. In the UK, more than 1,000 adults have registered to take part in the challenge. Kx365 is to be launched imminently in the US.
- Through all of the above, he’s raised more than £25,000 for good causes, and he’s not done yet.
*What’s a Talk & Run visit?
A Talk & Run visit comprises a half hour picture presentation talk about the JimGump challenge and the amazing experiences and sights seen and visited with a Q&A session at the end.
Jim talks about the importance of daily physical activity, good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle. The talk is followed by a short run with the children and a fun group photo.
The visits, which can also be accompanied by a planned lesson, are based on a series of hugely successful visits to UK schools by Jim in 2016.
Jim has successfully run more than 7 miles every day since 1st January 2013, no day missed, adding up to a total distance covered of 9,000 miles.
For the whole of 2015, Jim completed a triathlon every day (750m swim, 20K cycle, 10K run) without missing a single day or activity.
Jim set up the daily active Kx365 initiative for adults to be physically active every day for a year, supporting and encouraging each other via social media. So far, and growing year on year, more than 1,000 adults have registered to take part in the challenge.
Through all of the above and more, Jim has raised in excess of £25,000 for good causes.
+Thank Yous and Updates
11 months in the planning...finally becomes very real for this legend of a man.
For 3 years and 9 months Jim Plunkett-Cole - aka JimGump has run 10k + everyday adding up to 10,000 miles of unbroken daily running Yesterday he set off to run the fictional Forrest Gump trail which is 20,000 miles across the US! The run will be interspersed with hundreds of Talk & Run Elementary School visits, which means- Jim speaking to hundreds of thousands of children with the aim of inspiring an entire generation of young children into daily physical activity and healthy lifestyles.